Design advices for a successful direct mail
The envelope as a door opener
Companies in Germany invest annually more than 10 billion Euros in the delivery of direct mail.
But to be honest: Which mailing in your letter box really makes you curious about its content?
Your envelope is your sales person - you never get a second chance to make a good first impression!
The envelope is a cover which should give the recipient a glimpse of its content‘s attractivity. In order to make your direct mail envelopes look good to the recipient, here are some useful design advices:
- Ensure the flavour of the envelope is correct for your company and for the audience you are targeting!
- Lead with your very best offer. Make it as strong as you can.
- Show and tell with graphics - a picture says more than a thousand words!
- If you can, use images of people. People like people and they especially like children.
- Provide real benefits to your audience. The recipient‘s main interest are his benefits.
- Use photography. Photography is more believable than illustrations. People trust photography.
- The rule is: Larger images before smaller ones, portraits before whole body images, eyes before portraits (see pictures below).
- Use window envelopes or print the address directly on the front. Do not use self adhesive labels - they show you don’t care.
- Consider using the back of the envelope. 3 out of 4 people who touch the envelope will turn it over.